This recipe has become one my favorites! It's rather simple, very tasty, and looks impressive. I served this dish at my last EatWith dinner. I started the meal with a roasted butternut squash salad and finished with the ricotta fritters from the previous post. It was a great meal!
I came across the recipe on Instagram back in December, discovering the wonderful Half Baked Harvest blog. Here is the link to the original recipe: http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/crockpot-honey-harissa-chicken-with-chickpeas-feta-and-jeweled-pomegranate-rice/
I have made a few changes to the original recipe, most just small quantity changes to the honey, molasses, etc… I also think it tastes best with a spicy harissa. I usually buy freshly made harissa from Taim in Soho. The flavor is amazing….one of my next challenges will be to make the harissa on my own! I usually use 6 or 8 chicken thighs…if I use more than that, I double all the ingredients in the sauce. I also really like to put the thighs under the broiler at then end....it just makes them a little more crispy and a beautiful golden brown.
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup harissa (I’ve tried many harissas and keep coming back to the harissa from Taim in Soho)
- 1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 carrots, the smaller ones that come with greens (remove greens). Gently peel them just a little.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained andrinsed
- chopped cilantro and mint, for topping
- feta cheese, for topping
Ingredients for the Jeweled Pomegranate Rice:
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted pistachios
- zest from 1/2 orange (Taste as you go with the zest…too much and the dish is too flowery)
- arils from one pomegranate
Instructions for the Chicken:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large dutch oven and brown the chicken thighs on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
2. To the same dutch oven, add the harissa, coconut milk, soy sauce, honey, chipotle chile, ginger and garlic and mix well. Stir in the cinnamon stick, carrots, bell pepper and add the chicken back in. Spoon the sauce over everything and make sure everything is nestled in. Bring to a boil. Then cover with a tight fitting lid and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
3. Once chicken is done, remove the chicken from the sauce and place the chicken on a baking sheet. Place under the boiler to crisp the skin. This will not take long, so be careful and watch closely!
4. Stir in the chickpeas and add chicken back into the sauce. Serve with the rice and top with cilantro, mint, and feta.
Instructions for the Jeweled Pomegranate Rice:
1. Add the coconut milk and water to a medium size pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice and saffron and stir. Place the lid on the pot and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Cook for 10 minutes and then turn the heat off. Let the rice sit for 15-20 minutes. After 15-20 minutes remove the lid and fluff.
2. Add in the molasses, butter, pistachios, and orange zest. Be careful to not add too much orange zest! Add the pomegranates just before eating.